Frequently asked questions

What method of shipping do I use

USPS - United States Parcel Service

What if the product arrives broken?

File a claim with USPS and contact me for a replacement.

What if I am dissatisfied with the product?

You have one week to request a refund. You will have to pay the return shipping and I will refund your money.

What if I want to request a commission or special order.

I would be happy to consider your request. Email me your requst and I will get right back to you as soon as possible. Please specify form, dimensions and type of glaze.